- Our District
- 2014-2015 School District Calendar
- Appeal Process
- District Parent Advisory Council
- Fair Play Codes
- Forms and Payments Portal
- Inclement Weather procedures
- Kindergarten Registration
- Online Resources
- Physical Activity
- Reporting and Assessment
- School Locator
- Student Transportation
- Student Registration
- Tzu Chi Bursaries
- Aboriginal Education
- Alternate Education
- Continuing Education
- District Partnership Programs
- Early Learning Curriculum
- Environmental School
- International Baccalaureate program
- Inquiry Program
- Educational Options
- French Immersion
- Literacy iPod Program
- Odyssey Program (K-7)
- Online Learning SD42
- Ready Set Learn Events
- Secondary School Apprenticeships
- StrongStart Centres
- Student Support Services
- SWIS (Settlement Workers in Schools)
- Board of Education
- Contact Us
- IT Helpdesk
Open Boundary Policy
School District No.42 has an open boundary policy that allows flexibility in choice regarding which secondary school students may attend “where space and facility is determined to be available” (School Act section 74.1 Section 6).
The district is charged with managing enrollment at all schools and ensuring that enrolment numbers align with capacity at each school. This management assists in providing optimum learning environments for all students across the district.
District Grade 8 registration procedures
- All Grade 8 registration for the 2015-16 school year will be done online through the Parent Portal. Registration will open at 12:00 noon on Wednesday, February 11, 2015.
- The registration form will automatically populate with your child's secondary catchment school. This is determined by your address (not your elementary school). You can check the School District website http://www.sd42.ca for your catchment school. Please note that new development areas may not reflect accurate results of your catchment school. Please call and confirm with the school if necessary. If your catchment school is not your first choice, you will be given an opportunity to make other choices on the form.
- Out-of-catchment registrations may be restricted by the limits of the school facility size (as described above) and staffing. The district will accommodate catchment registrations first and then attempt to accommodate sibling out of catchment registrations; however, sibling placement cannot be guaranteed. Please refer to the acceptance criteria below.
- All Grade 8 online registration must be completed by 12:00 noon on February 20, 2015.
- Parents will be notified during the week of March 9, 2015 as to where their child is assigned.
- Movement between schools (i.e. families changing their minds) after the February 20th deadline requires a transfer process, as staffing for schools is established based upon registrations as of this date. Forms for this are available at the secondary schools. Building space and available staffing limit this process. See student transfer guidelines below:
Grade 7 students and their parents wishing to transfer schools are entitled to complete a transfer form through the process outlined above. For grade 7s only, a review of transfer requests will be completed before the grade 7 orientation dates in May.
Acceptance Criteria for prioritizing placement
- in catchment area students who, in the previous year, attended the school;
- in catchment area students who, in the previous year, were 'placed' by the district in a different school;
- siblings of in catchment area students;
- new in catchment area students;
- siblings of out of catchment area students currently enrolled in the school;
- out of catchment area students who request to attend the school which is other than their catchment area school;
- out of district students.
The information system used to register all students does not accept students in more than one school. If students attempt to register in more than one school, the system will default back to their catchment school.